Friday, August 17, 2012

Kelly Shoppach Messes Up My Story Idea

Kelly Shoppach: Dream Killer
I've been holding on to a secret for a little while, and I was really looking forward to telling you all about it. I'm from Washington, DC, and the Nationals play Major League Baseball there. The New York Mets, Butte native Rob Johnson's current team, play there sometimes too. It turned out that the Mets would be in DC to play the Nationals during my vacation back home. They play a three game series starting tonight.

"This is great," I thought. "I can get a press credential, I used to go to Nats games all the time through an internship, I'll get to see old friends and shoot a story about Rob Johnson for KXLF. Win win."

Except Kelly Shoppach ruined all of my hopes and dreams and turned one of those wins into a loss.

On Tuesday, Shoppach was a minor league catcher for the Boston Red Sox, hitting a pedestrian .250 with the big club in 48 games to go along with 17 RBI. Then on Wednesday, the Mets traded for him and demoted Johnson to AAA.

I'm at the game now, and so far Shoppach is 0-1 with a strikeout 1-3 with a home run. He hasn't had a hit His first for the Mets since joining the team. Well, I take that back. He hit my story idea square on the nose. He obliterated it the opposite way - it's going, going, gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment